Irreligious Intolerance

An atheist claims religious harrassment in the US Army... (from Creepy)

It's like the old line about the Pilgrim Fathers - they left Europe to seek the religious freedom to be as narrowminded and intolerant as they damn well could be!

To me, it's just another reminder how different things are in The United States of Jesusfreakistan.

The Catholic upbringing I had in Australia was never this tough, never this nasty, never this scary - I rejected it nevertheless. Sometime I think I'm the last remaining person whose thinking was influenced by the liberal 60's and 70's. Perhaps that's why, when I subject visitors to my Jodorowsky film archive, they never come back...

Posted by: expat@large on May 01, 08 | 1:08 pm | Profile

I've just finished reading "Imperial Grunt" and it came across that some form of muscular christianity is the default relgion for the soldiers who are serving at the sharp end of action. The book suggests that improved language skills and cultural understanding would assist the US in amy of their deployments but I wonder how a Muslim would fare in the armed forces if he was also a patriot.

In the story the atheism may have been an issue. taking the matter to court might have been what did for him

Posted by: steviefboy on May 01, 08 | 5:20 pm

I met my first Libertarian Christian the other week. Man, was he scary. Did I blog about it? "Jesus speaks to *me* here" - thumps heart - "and tells me to let the poor and homeless die of starvation because it's all their fault."

I had to look up Libertarian in the Wikipedia, that's how much I actually know or care about these political backwoods gun-toting cults. With the personal Jesus philosphy thrown it, it's an extremistan nightmare. I suppose I should care, seeing as how they run the world.

For all the non-Libertarian, non-freedom shit here in Singapore, at least the place is secular.

Posted by: expat@large on May 01, 08 | 7:14 pm

So what have we learned? Atheists are welcome to participate in Crusades but they should keep their mouths shut.

Posted by: Dick on May 02, 08 | 1:50 am

I'd like to offer my .02 S$ since I am
( or was) rather close to this problem.

First, I would say that as an institution, the US military is neither pro-nor anti religion. However, what happens is that in some units you get a particular zealot in a position of authority who forgets that his oath as an officer is at odds with his injunction from the New Testament to proseltyze to the world.

Furhtermore, a kind of herd mentality kicks in-which tends to portray the military profession as a kind of moral priesthood-this has become particularly more pronounced since GWB became President and pronounced everything in good vs evil terms. ( I always thought portraying military action in moral terms to be something of a hoot-given that the main goal of a military is to be prepared to mass kill other human beings-and before some goes on a high horse, I served 29 years in the military and am proud of my service).

Anyway, the indivdual in charge sets the tone and the youngin's pick up on it and if they are religious themselves it just grows.

And here is what happens. If someone is not adhering to the so-called core values-they get picked on. Where you see it really manifest itself is in things that should properly be privat conduct-especially with respect to sexuality. The zealots are always the first to rail against going into Thailand, or PI and if someone likes the tan, filipino ass-but really does not want to leave his wife-he gets crucified for not goiong without.

And thus we are where we are today. The good commanders know where the boundaries are and leave well enough alone. The USAF is the worst when it comes to this by the way.

Posted by: Skippy-san on May 02, 08 | 10:11 pm

There's no comparison to the centuries-old, traditional, non-fundamentalist religions, ie Catholic, Anglican, Greek Orthodox etc. - where there's no pushing, no extremism, just live and let live...

The relatively recently-invented American fundamentalist religions seem to be more like sects - they are not actually 'Christian' at all (from what I understand). Many traditional priests and ministers will confirm this.

Posted by: Sister on May 08, 08 | 3:17 am

As a recent convert to the way of the Jedi warrior I agree with everyone. The force is in balance. Let's move on.

Posted by: steviefboy on May 08, 08 | 4:41 pm

I think they might argue for the term "Christian" with you, Mariah.

Religion seems to be a matter of definitions. Mostly.

Posted by: expat@large on May 08, 08 | 5:07 pm

Stevieboy: I have joined all religions, just to be on the safe side.

Posted by: expat@large on May 08, 08 | 5:11 pm

A famous person was dying and the priest asked him to renounce Satan. His response was 'this is not the time to be making new enemies'

Posted by: steviefboy on May 08, 08 | 5:20 pm

The actual quote -

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.

Posted by: steviefboy on May 08, 08 | 5:43 pm