Duxton Hill Rd Conversation

Scene: Singapore, the golf-course-clean last surviving Asian tiger economy, coughing and spluttering as globalisation dies due to the housing market collapse (HK's and Singapore's MAJOR investment earner), food prices explode, Vietnam's Nike workers strike(!) for higher pay and other signs that the world has not only gone to Hell in a Handbasket but it has pulled up at the pier and the ferryman is asking for tickets, please.

Duxton Hill Rd. Internationally lesser know but locally infamous region of nightlife d'ell ill-repute - pretty much locals (ang moh and Chinese) only. Tourists are shuffled off to Orchard Towers and the 4FoWs and left to their own devices while the locals head down here, or to the Paramount Hotel, nudge nudge, for some serious micro-woman attention.

Narrow road. Restored old storehouses. Small BMD bars. Laser lights, live band playing. Narrow bar packed exclusively with Filipina ladies of various vintages and random stages of strategic undress. Studded tongue, studded belly button. Two kids.

10:45pm

Customer: "I really feel sorry for the exploitation that goes on here - you poor girls..."

... ... ...

12:15am

Customer: "What the fuck, ANOTHER drink? I've already spent $150 and haven't had a hand on my freaking knob yet!"

~~~~~~~~~~

As reported to

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 16, 08 | 12:53 am | Profile

Reported to??? or reported by? Surely it was the excessive alcohol consumed (since it had cost $150) which caused the Jeckyll to Hyde transformation in this, otherwise, caring and sharing gent!

Posted by: Pete3859 on Apr 16, 08 | 7:31 am

$150? That would be one drink for each of two girls and two G&Ts for the punters.

Reportedly.

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 16, 08 | 12:18 pm

p.s. wrote this post when I was pretty drunk last night - it's good eh? I think I'm much funnier when I'm drunk!

Mind you, I also think I'm a better dancer.

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 16, 08 | 12:29 pm

"Mind you, I also think I'm a better dancer."

Once you've imbibed sufficient quantities of exceedingly expensive alcohol, step -- balancing carefully -- beyond Duxton Hill Rd to the same stretch on Tanjong Pagar Rd. We'll see you at the dance studio there!

Posted by: titianmadness on Apr 16, 08 | 6:19 pm

You are MUCH funnier when I'm drunk!

Posted by: Pete3859 on Apr 17, 08 | 10:10 am

I was wondering the same thing Pete was: 'to' or 'by'?

Posted by: Creepy on Apr 17, 08 | 10:35 am

Pete: YOU are much funnier when I am 2000km away.

Creepster: A good blogger never names his sauces, despite threats of being sued for libel, being sent to hell (catch up with my buddies, call that punishment?), Procrustean length adjustment, waterboarding, feet tickling, or pleas to National Insecurity and offers of cash from the gossip mags..

OK, OK, you got me; it was that bloody horrible expat buddy of mine, Bruce!

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 17, 08 | 11:19 am

Titian: my nimble toes light airily on the delicate path to tread the rhythmical boards of Tanjong Pagar, soon. I'll call.

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 17, 08 | 11:30 am

If you could tread airily and with nimble toes you wouldn't be complaining about the feet, would you?

Posted by: Indiana on Apr 18, 08 | 8:35 am

Like, I said: soon. I think I a getting a faint sense of progress in the feet healing department.

Posted by: expat@large on Apr 18, 08 | 1:09 pm