Love My Sushi, My Sushi Loves Me

As I searched the literature for information on squid reproduction I came across an article in a Japanese medical journal describing the case of a middle aged man who had gone to his doctor complaining of discomfort in his mouth and throat. Examination revealed dozens of tiny spindle-shaped structures embedded in the mucous lining of his mouth and pharynx, which the doctors thought were parasites. Detailed examination revealed their true identity - the spermatophores of a squid which the man had eaten previously as sushi. Several species of squid produce projectile spermatophores which under normal circumstances are shot into the skin of the female; the one this man had eaten remains unknown. Mercifully it was not the giant squid whose 20cm long spermatopores would have created considerably more discomfort. Tim Birkhead Promiscuity

Mmm I like sushi, but if a squid comes in my mouth would be it even more gay to swallow?

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 17, 08 | 12:39 pm | Profile

mmm...what if you gargled?

Posted by: Indiana on Jan 17, 08 | 2:04 pm

I wonder if her had followed with a strong chaser of sake it would have killed off the little buggers?

I am always thinking of new purposes or situations where a strong drink is required for medicinal purposes.

Posted by: sino man on Jan 17, 08 | 2:23 pm

Indy: Gargle with sake?

Sino: that's good, I'll say "a squid came in my mouth" when the psychologists asks me for the reason why I became an acoholic.

It'd be enough to drive anyone to drink.

Like the joke of the boy who comes into the pub and asks for five tequiila slammers:
"Why so many drinks?" asks the bartender.
"I just had my first blowjob."
"Celebrating?"
"No, trying to get the taste out of my mouth."

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 17, 08 | 3:52 pm

The question begs to be asked...why were you looking for information on squid reproduction?

Posted by: jen-hk on Jan 18, 08 | 11:02 am

Jen: this is from a book my son gave me for Xmas a few years ago. I had never finished it. I had previously got to the point were two hermaphroditic snails hang from tree branches by their wrestling penises and try to inseminate each other, sometimes rending one of the penises from its owner... The trauma of that image has only slowly abated - I still have an aversion to walking in gardens at night (that thing brushing against your face may be a spider's web, it may be a snail's lost penis. They are very long by the way, snails' penises).

I thought I was ready to start again on the book... until I arrived at the chapter on squid... Now, no more sushi!

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 18, 08 | 12:39 pm

Hmm...

Would have expected your son to have good taste in choice of books - obviously slipped up that particular Christmas?

Posted by: Sister on Jan 18, 08 | 7:23 pm

Ahh... one of the best xmas pressie books ever.
Still managing to get itself off (the shelf) after six or seven years and have its words read by as many people as possible.

Posted by: rambeaux2 on Jan 18, 08 | 11:21 pm

Everyone's reading my books! Izzy is reading white man's burden...
Are you guys having a themed Friday Night Book Club meeting on the rug?

Posted by: rambeaux2 on Jan 18, 08 | 11:28 pm

I'm in town right now. I will e-mail you.

Posted by: Skippy-san on Jan 19, 08 | 10:25 am

Rambeaux: "YOUR" books? They're MY books, OK, only because you gave them to me but this is typical behaviour of the GCP - Greedy Children Phenomenon - old dad's only mildly in pain, let alone sick, let alone dead and already the kids (kidS?) are fighting over who owns what in the inheritance...

p.s Izzy's mention refers to this book not this blog post.

Skip: will call. Maybe Sunday at the Gutter?

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 19, 08 | 12:58 pm

Works for me.

Posted by: Skippy-san on Jan 19, 08 | 4:10 pm

I'll see if I can gather a quorum. Mercer, Smoot, Indy, Izzy, anybody?

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 19, 08 | 4:49 pm

Obviously if you swallowed the Spermatophores you must be engaged in bestiality.
I see a prison term in your future.

Posted by: The Bludger on Jan 19, 08 | 4:50 pm

Bludger: a valid point. Admit it all you chef type guys, often while gutting a squid prior to making calamari you've pondered other uses, less gastronomically acceptable, for that eight-inch long fleshy tube... and it was an effort to resist the temptation...

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 19, 08 | 5:02 pm

Just let me know what time and also I need directions to where it is. You've got my e-mail and cell-just send them there.

Posted by: Skippy-san on Jan 19, 08 | 8:56 pm