<< Goethe: Redux   |   WEBLOG   |   Grumpy >>

Contrasts

"In the 1960s, Burma had the same coup with General Ne Win taking over. He did not have this team of economists. He did it his own way – the Burmese way to socialism – and if you compare Burma with Indonesia, you would know what a difference Suharto has made." LKY.

Mmm. They're both unsafe corrupt shitholes that Singapore is exploiting in various ways. Not all that much difference.

I know! The food is better in Indonesia. Tea-leaf (used) salad for chrissake - pass me the bucket!

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 14, 08 | 3:36 pm | Profile

Behind the veil I would be interested to see if the level of environmental destruction in Burma is as bad as what happens in Indo under the watchful eye of those policing the rules?

A friend who worked for a large forestry business in Asia who source a lot of timber/pulp from Indo suggested that the whole country would only improve when the entire population was removed. Harsh I thought, but it did come from an industry insider. Makes you wonder about greed and humanity if you could be bothered.

Posted by: sino man on Jan 15, 08 | 12:53 pm

"The country would only improve when the entire population was removed." Sad comment. What, they are interferring with the Widjaya's or Bob Hasan's profit flow?

Wasn't such self-genocide tried in Cambodia to poor effect? A country without people is not a country.

Singapore is trying to gain access to Burma's riches, starting with gravel and sand for its constructions sites, now that Indonesia has banned Singapore's sand mining of its islands (it was losing territory as Singapore grew closer - the border being in the straits half-way between the two countries)

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 15, 08 | 1:24 pm

Expat I think that the comment was more to do with the destruction and damaged caused to each other and the environment in Indo by the local population rather than any type of business or financial efficiency improvements to be made.

Posted by: sino man on Jan 15, 08 | 4:24 pm

Sino: OK, but it read like the "industry man" was wishing people would get out of his way! Actually, a cynic might say, the whole country doesnt have to be depopulated. Just Java and Sumatra, where all the cranks live, then Bali would be visitable again!

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 15, 08 | 4:39 pm

Expat I think that you might be right, but the area my friend was talking about was Kalimantan (Borneo) I think. Out of interest the person who made the comment is Chinese, grew up in BJ and educated in the west mid 30s female.

Posted by: sino man on Jan 15, 08 | 7:58 pm

She sounds like the 21st Century's typical citizen. Plus she's probably a Randian Objectivist. Scary. Run away, brave Sir Sinoman.

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 15, 08 | 11:50 pm

No need to run away Sir Expat, she lives in your little city/state. A long way from my current hometown.

Posted by: sino man on Jan 16, 08 | 9:26 am

!!! Now I'm gonna haveta keep looking over my shoulder...

Posted by: expat@large on Jan 16, 08 | 11:02 am